Addressing Weak Points

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Addressing Weak Points

Post  Drew on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Once you get to the intermediate to advance stage it is important to start addressing your weak points. Cookie cutter templates will only get you so far. You have to learn about your body and focus on areas that you need work in, not necessarily the ones you enjoy the most. Most people have weak hamstrings. A good way to work on strengthening them is to do a few sets of glute ham raises a few times a week. If you don't have a glute ham raise add in some pull-thrus or stiff-legged deadlifts on your leg day (the SLDLs will take longer to recover from though). Also, a lot of people have a weak upper back. Most lifters can work upper back 2-3 times a week as long as they don't use too much volume. Face pulls, cable rows, chinups, and pulldowns are good lifts to strengthen your upper back without overtraining it. If you compete in any type of strength sport then this becomes even more important.

For example, I compete in strongman. My sticking point on the log is just over my head. To fix this I'm doing partial military presses in the rack from my sticking point. On the deadlift I am weak off the floor. I am adding speed deads on my squat day to help with this. I have trouble gripping atlas stones as well so I am adding in DB presses to help strengthen my chest. The point is figure out your weaknesses and address them. Don't just keep using cookie cutter routines hoping they'll eventually go away. It's much better to keep making minor tweaks to your routine than to jump from routine to routine frequently.

Drew

Drew
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top