Trying to diet with a crashed metabolism

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trying to diet with a crashed metabolism

Post  Drew on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 pm

People need to understand that the bodies first and primary goal is survival. Your body doesn't care if you have a six pack and are lean mean machine. It just cares that you continue to survive. One of the biggest mistakes people make when dieting is to be too aggressive and try to lose 2 to 2 1/2 pounds a week. Most people with average metabolisms simply cannot pull this off without very quickly crushing their metabolisms. As an example the typical trainee that has a 3500 calorie BMR, will decide the diet and cut calories by 1000 to 1500 calories a day, on top of that they will often implement an aggressive cardio schedule. When you do this the body simply sees this as being in a starvation situation. To counteract this your body simply lowers your basal metabolic rate. Thyroid is a key player in this, but there are other bio-chemicals involved with the metabolic slowdown such as adrenaline.

I am a big advocate of using body temperatures to track and determine metabolic rate. I learned this in 1995 from Dan Duchain. Many other diet and nutrition gurus also use this method. The general method consists of taking body temperature first thing in the morning. I soon noticed that many people with lower morning temperatures were still losing weight at an appreciable pace. I changed my method to morning and afternoon or early evening body temperatures to determine metabolic slowdown.

Simply put if you're trying to diet with a metabolism that is severely shut down, you're making a tough job much tougher and in many cases impossible.The unknowing trainees solution is simply to drop calories lower. All this accomplishes is further metabolic shutdown, and at some point loss of muscle mass. If you do not maintain a daytime or evening temperature of at least 97.2, in my opinion it's time to do a re-feed to bring metabolic rate up. Here are some symptoms of low thyroid complements of Tominator who is an extremely well researched Doctor, and also an extremely strong trainee. He is one of the few strength and IA verified people on the forum.

Body temperatures values certainly do vary between people, and can vary by up to a couple degrees within the same person depending on time of day, activity, meals, etc. You want to look for an overall pattern not a single reading. Either that, or be consistent and measure only at a specific time such as morning.

I assume you take your temperature using the under the tongue thermometer method. 98.6 is the "normal" core temperature value, which is measured via rectal, vaginal, or ear methods. Oral (mouth) readings run slightly lower, with commonly accepted average value/range being 98.2+/-1.3. Either way, readings in the 96 are certainly low.

Are they an indicator of poor thyroid function? No way to say definitively without a thyroid test (TSH test) result, however, low body temperature is one symptom. Some other common symptoms are listed below. If you have several of these, I'd recommend you get tested.

* Fatigue
* Sluggishness
* Increased sensitivity to cold
* Constipation
* Pale, dry skin
* A puffy face
* Hoarse voice
* An elevated blood cholesterol level
* Unexplained weight gain/inability to lose weight
* Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
* Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
* Muscle weakness
* Brittle fingernails and hair
* Depression

The best way to get around this is to simply not be so aggressive in your attempts to lose body fat. Another way people end up with the thrashed metabolisms is simply those people that are hungry and don't eat much at all on a long term basis. At least 20 to 25% of the people that come to me with the intent of dieting for fat loss are told that they must first bring their metabolic rate up before we have a good chance of the body fat coming off at a fast pace without muscle loss.

IA

Drew
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top